http://casino.us.org Web Informer Button

Affiliate Program


Tamparuli Sabah - A place to visit

Tamparuli Sabah was known as an old town rich with cultural value and fascinating places. The town located in the middle of Tuaran District, 36KM from the main city of Kota Kinabalu, easy to be found and a lot of surprises waiting for the visitors. The visitor will be fascinated with The Extreme Para Gliding Sport, The legendary of “Bukit Perahu”, Hatob-hatob Waterfall, Hanging Bridge and The Old Suspension Bridge Made by the British in the early 50s, The one and only "The Upside House Of Borneo" and Chantek Borneo Gallery if you visit Tamparuli Sabah. ( Please read more inside this website). For local tourist who likes to travel outside Malaysia, you can e-mail to D7tours and Travel Co through Harry.george@gmail.com. For International tourist who wish to visit Sabah The Land Below The Wind, you can e-mail or call to our correspondent travel agency:

______________________________________________________________________________
D7-TRAVEL AND TOURS-Registered Travel and Tours Co
IGNATIUS@ BOP JUANIS
H/p: 016-8121702

______________________________________________________________________________


"Please Subscribe, Likes, Shares and Comments for my Official Youtube Channel" and Continuing support my Vlog.. Stay Safe!!!

Thanks...
Harry George











Showing posts with label Death March. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Death March. Show all posts

Sabah Fallen Hero WW2


Chief Minister Datuk Seri Musa Aman said the fallen heroes of World War II should be remembered for their deeds. "Without their sacrifices we will not be able to have the peace and comfort that we are enjoying today," he said at the Sandakan Memorial Day 2012 here on Wednesday.

His speech was delivered by Assistant Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Datuk Ellron Alfred Angin.

Musa said the Death March 67 years ago should also serve as a lesson to all. He commended the Sabah Tourism Board and Sandakan Municipal Council as well as those involved in organising the Memorial Day.

He also acknowledged the presence of the British High Commissioner, Simon Featherson and his Australian counterpart, Jane Duke. Also on hand was Datin Aminah Ambrose the daughter of Ambrose Samuel Dumpangol who was one of the World War II fighters who had been awarded the Kesatria Mangku Negara by the Yang diPertuan Agong as well as war veterans and families of the Death March soldiers.



18 January 1942: - The Seizure of British North Borneo:

After completing successful invasions in December and seizing the oilfields at Miri in Sarawak and Seria in Brunei, MajGen Kawaguchi Kiyotake orders LtCol Watanabe to capture Sandakan, the capital of British North Borneo. Watanabe, using ten small fishing boats carrying the majority of two infantry companies, lands at Sandakan. His men quickly disarm the 650-man Armed Constabulary and free 600 interned Japanese citizens. The next morning, Governor Robert Smith surrenders the State of North Borneo and is interned with his staff.

8 July 1942:

1500 Australian and British prisoners of war (POW) are sent from Changi POW Camp at Singapore to POW Camp No. 1 at Sandakan under the command of Captain Hoshijima Susumito. They are put to work building two airstrips and roads to supply them. After their first year at Sandakan, the POWs suffer terribly from starvation, overwork and disease.

April 1943:

A further 776 British POWs arrive and are placed in Sandakan's Camp 2.
June 1943:
500 Australian POWs arrive and are placed in Sandakan's Camp 3.
September 1944: 
Lt Aita Hideo's untrained 300-man 6th Special Attack Shinyo Squadron and 48 crated Shinyo explosive motorboats (EMBs) are sent to Manila, Philippines aboard two unidentified oil tankers. By early October, the squadron is based at Zamboanga, Mindano and begins training.

October 1944: 

Under continous threat of American air attacks, the 6th Shinyo Squadron is withdrawn from Zamboanga and transported to Sandakan, Sabah, NE Borneo. The squadron establishes its base on a small, swampy island on Sandakan Bay, but even here Allied planes raid Sandakan and the airfields. The 6th Shinyo Squadron is the only IJN unit at Sandakan.

20 October 1944: American Operation "KING TWO" - The Invasion of Leyte, Philippines:
Admiral (later Fleet Admiral) William F. Halsey's (former CO of SARATOGA, CV-3) Third Fleet, of 738 ships including 18 aircraft carriers, six battleships, 17 cruisers, 64 destroyers and over 600 support ships, lands the Army's X and XXIV Corps that begin the campaign to retake Leyte.

January - 15 August 1945:

By the beginning of 1945, many POWs have died in Japanese captivity. The POWS are ordered to march into the mountains to an isolated base at Ranau. A series of three such "death marches" results in the deaths of more than 3,600 Indonesian civilian slave laborers and 2,428 Australian and British POWs. Nearly 300 men, too sick to attempt the marches, either die or are executed at Sandakan. Of the hundreds of POWs, only six men – all Australians - escape during the marches, and are later rescued by Allied forces. 

27 May 1945:

A massive Allied sea-air bombardment of Sandakan occurs. Japanese survivors from ships sunk in the harbor come ashore and kill any local people they find. As a result of the Oct '44 invasion of Leyte, the 6th Shinyo Squadron was trapped at Sandakan for the duration of the war. By war's end, about 170 of the squadron's men die of malaria, other tropical diseases and malnutrition. Only about 30 men are KIA, probably either in USAAF bombing attacks or the bombardment of Sandakan. The 6th Shinyo Squadron never makes an attack using its EMBs.

15 August 1945: Cessation of Hostilities: 

Imperial Palace, Tokyo. At noon, the Emperor announces Japan's surrender that is broadcast by radio all over the Japanese Empire.
Ranau, Borneo. Many Japanese refuse to surrender and the killing of POWs by beheading, shooting or bayoneting continues weeks after the end of the war. The war crimes interrogation of Captain Hoshijima reveals that the last POWs were killed at Ranau on 27 August 1945, well after the Japanese surrender. Undoubtedly, they were killed to stop them testifying to the atrocities committed by the guards.

9 September 1945:

Morotai, Halmaheras, Molucca Islands. LtGen Teshima Fusataro, C-in-C, Japanese Second Army, signs the instrument of surrender of all Japanese forces remaining in Borneo and the Netherlands East Indies east of Lombok Island (about 126,000 men). General (later Field Marshal) Sir Thomas Blamey, C-in-C, Allied Land Force, South West Pacific Area, accepts the surrender from Teshima who also surrenders his Shin-Gunto samurai sword (with general officer's knot).



Free Lance Writer

A Story From Borneo.

I came across of an article from Daily Express yesterday, I wonder why Sabahan cannot write back this story with their own perspective? Do the Sabahan cannot be a good writer? The outsider use to write about Sabah, Borneo and Sarawak. Did they know that we also can write this story by our own people. Million copies of book sold outside and a lot of money pouring inside the outsider pocket. We as the new generation of Sabahan should take this opportunity to learn how to write about our own country. Try to write a simple article with your own idea and publish it through the net and see the feedback from the audience. 

There are so many story about Sabah and Borneo and, was written by the Englishmen, American and Australian. The true thing is, I asking the Sabahan to develop their skill in writing so that their can express their feeling through writing. To express your feeling, we need to write, try to write simple journal first and dairy first then you came out with simple article. You can publish your article through the newspaper or create your own website. Just for reminder it can enrich your knowledge about anything you want write because before you start writing, you need to read, observe and investigation first unless you know about the story you want to write.  

Never enough on Death March

 Sources Daily Express, 7th April 2011

Kota Kinabalu: Several detailed books have been written on Sabah's 1945 Death March. Will another on the same subject be one too many?Paul Ham, a veteran Australian journalist and a former Sunday Times London correspondent, doesn't think so.

"History is never complete," Paul Ham argued, especially when the perspective of many local people have not been sufficiently tapped about the Japanese occupation of North Borneo and its impacts on the local community.

So he is going ahead with a new book about the Japanese occupation of North Borneo, setting the Death March in the context of the overall picture, Paul said.

"My aim is to set it in the context of the local people and the impact of the Japanese occupation on the local community," explained Paul who paid generous tributes to authors before him, citing Lynette Silver, for instance.

The Survivors, Sandakan DM
"I greatly admire the amazing pioneering research job done by Lynette, I don't pretend to improve upon her research, but I would like to just give a slightly different perspective," added Paul who trekked tough sections of the Death March trail in March with several friends from Sydney, guided by trail blazer Tham Yau Kong and group.

He said he had spoken to a number of local people who related a very familiar story of Japanese occupying their villages, taking their food and driving them into the jungle, from where they launched hostile reprisals.

"And there are some amazing stories of courage and heroism which are independent of the Death March," Paul noted.

"It's an illuminating experience for me just talking to so many local people," he added. "I think the problem often with Anglo Saxon reading of history is they tend to be rather egocentric and we need to balance that with a local perspective.

"I am not directing that on any particular historian, just saying that we do tend to look at the past through our own prism." But he is not new to writing books, though.

He has already done three, namely, Kokoda, the first land defeat of the Japanese over the Kokoda track between July-December 1942.

"That was a story of the struggle. Again, I went to Japan to interview many Japanese veterans to get their perspective as well," Paul Ham reiterated his emphasis.

"My second book was Vietnam War and Australian involvement in our longest war - 12 years and 50,000 marines," he said.

"I spent three years working on 'The Defeat of Japan' which is coming out this year," said Paul.

After working five years full time with Sunday Times in London, Paul enrolled in the London School of Economics to study history and earned a Masters in Economic History. "No I am a full-time historian."

War is often rooted in economics, Paul says.

Japan's stated mission in its invasion of Southeast Asia was to dislodge the British Empire to liberate Asians from whites.

But liberation here, in fact, was enslavement in a way that did not occur to such an extent under British colonialism, he said.

Story Arrangement By: Harry George
Sources: Daily Express
Picture: Google Images
Interesting Links: http://www.freelancewriting.com/freelance-writing-jobs.php

Related Posts Plugin for Blogger...

My Blog List

Search Engine Promotion Widget
Google Back Link Checker